Friday, January 2, 2015

Getting back to my roots!!


Teaching has always been my passion.  Growing up, it was always my dream to become a teacher.  I remember lining up my stuffed animals and trying to teach them when I was around 5 years old. 

 I have tried to think of what else I would want to do for better money, but my mind is empty.  

Teaching is for me!  
I believe it is what I am meant to do.

Over the years I have felt the big pressure to make sure my kiddos are where they need to be at the end of the year.  Taking away some of our 'fun' activities in order to apply the skills they need to make the proper growth for the year.   I have noticed less and less of the kiddos being able to be kids. :(

This breaks my heart.  Aren't children supposed to be children?

This year it has really been a weight on me with having my own child attend kindergarten.  

I feel I have always tried my hardest to make school 'fun' for my students.  Singing and dancing!  Playing games!  But, for some reason this year with moving up to first grade I feel all I do and drill, drill, drill. 

Now, I realize that is not all I do.  Like I said before I do try to have as much fun as possible with my kiddos.  I am trying to make them the smartest they have ever been and keep them liking school.  I set high expectations and my students usually master those! (Woohoo!) But, I was battling in my head over break what I could do to make my classroom even better.

This is the thing...my head is constantly thinking about school.  I imagine like most other teachers.  I searched the blogs and Pinterest.  I finally found what I am going to do.  

I am so excited to start back to start incorporating the things I found.  I need to get printing them out and laminating them.  I know my kiddos are going to love these activities.

My Daily 5 Centers are now going to be even better.  I am going to have the kiddos do more activities on the spelling pattern we are concentrating on for the week.  

Math!!

Oh Math!!!  

How math and I have a love/hate relationship!

Right now, my math is kinda boring.  Did I just admit that?  We watch the video and complete the worksheet that goes with it.  Now yes the kiddos are learning the material, but oh how boring is that!

So...

I am going to start incorporating math centers.

Are you ready for this???

Everyday!!!

Yep, that is what I said.

Everyday!!!

My kiddos love math and I know they will love this!

I am also going to switch up my morning routine a little bit.

A new year and new changes happening at Wolfelicious for the better.  I can't wait to get them all set up so I can share them with the kiddos.

I am hoping to have them up and running by the new quarter which is in two weeks.  (Fingers crossed) They know how to do the Daily Five, so I am thinking they will catch on to this easily.  Plus, I know they will love the centers.  Students always love centers.

I have a student teacher beginning in the 5th with me.  I can't wait to share with her all this new stuff we are going to do.

We are going to be off to a great rest of the year!!

And...

I can't wait to see how the centers improve their learning and make it FUN!

I hope you stop by and see how my class is doing with these 'new' things.

I would love to hear what you are doing new for the new year!!!

Have a Wolfelicious day!

Check out my TPT Store
     Pre-K, Kindergarten, First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, Twelfth, Higher Education, Adult Education, Homeschooler, Staff - TeachersPayTeachers.com

                       
     


2 comments:

  1. Hi April~ You certainly seem ready to go back with some exciting ideas and lots of ambition. Good for you! Many years ago, I moved from first to second grade and felt compelled to "get it all in." One day I started to read a book and a student said, "Can't we just read this one for fun." Boy did that snap me back to reality! And I remember I had cut out so many of my beloved read-alouds. Eek! Thank goodness for the words of that little one! I simply went back to my first grade "fun" ways but applied/adjusted/tweaked a bit to second and then it was smooth sailing. I think we feel so much pressure and we forget that we are the experts and knows what works. We feel the need to give ourselves the permission to teach in fun ways. Crazy, huh? Trust yourself! Change is good and I look forward to reading about yours! GOOD LUCK!

    Firstgradebloomabilities

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi April!
    Believe it or not, BEFORE I moved to the district in which I'm currently teaching, first grade teachers were actually told to send our kids' crayon boxes HOME at the beginning of the second semester. We simply didn't have time to "color" anymore. We had "skills" to master, of course... blah, blah, blah. Thankfully, I no longer teach in that school system.
    At my current school, I'm allowed to close my classroom door and teach the skills in any way I deem appropriate. As long as my kids are learning and enjoying themselves my administrators are happy. I find that I'm encouraged, too. Simply because I'm t.r.u.s.t.e.d to do what I do best - and that's simply TEACH. Happy New Year! Thank you for stopping by to "see" me!

    ReplyDelete